Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Granddaddy Shrimp

Daddy and I used to go shrimping a lot during the summer when I was a young girl. He worked shift work and whenever he was working 3 to 11, he would take me shrimping all morning. He taught me how to throw the cast net. It took practice but I managed to throw it and make a perfect circle. I practiced so much that I got better than all the neighborhood boys and, whew, were they jealous! Girl power rules! When we would catch those big, jumbo shrimp, daddy would always call them “Granddaddy Shrimp”. He said they managed to grow so big, get old and not get caught… until now! Fritter Chicks, are you up for the challenge? Do you have some girl power? Start peelin’ and broil these big ones up so you can get to eatin’!

Granddaddy Shrimp

1 1/2 pounds “Granddaddy” peeled, raw shrimp
2 tablespoons sliced hot peppers
4 garlic cloves crushed
1 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
8 teaspoons butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
½ cup of fresh lime juice

Combine peppers, garlic, oil, and salt in a food processor and mix on high speed. Pour into a bowl, add the “Granddaddy” shrimp and stir until coated. Place in refrigerator to let them soak for about four hours. If you let them soak overnight, that is even better. In a cast iron skillet, melt butter, stir in lime juice. Add shrimp until shrimp turn pink. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Shellbelle said...

Your blog has made me very hungry, but before I wander out to the kitchen, I just have to share a memory.

As a young girl I used to go fishing in the early morning with my granddaddy on his farm in Douglas, Georgia. We'd catch catfish and granny would fry them up and serve them with grits and eggs. Still a favorite of mine…with lots of hot sauce!

I'm going to fritter…I mean twitter you also, look for me as FloridaSiren there!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I just lost my granddaddy recently and this reminds me of when we used to fish off his deck. Thanks for the sweet memory!

Momma Chae said...

I have to admit that I don't like shrimp, but that I do like the IDEA of going shrimping... I guess it's because of "Forest Gump." :)